Mom Bod Overhall

I am a mom. My body shows the track marks of carrying two babies to term.  My weight is not what it once was before these precious gifts from God. It is time to change that, to put myself first for an hour or so a day.
My babies are not babies anymore, they are teenagers now, on the cusp of manhood. Where did the time go? It feels like just yesterday that I was holding them in my arms, breathing in their baby smell, watching them sleep.
I always put my family first, that is what a wife and stay at home mom does. But it is time that I get healthy and happy with my body again.  Don’t get me wrong, my body is amazing, it is a survivor, a fighter and I am immensely proud of that.  However, my body has become the “Mom Bod” that I hoped it never would. Dare I say it, I consider myself overweight.  I am done with that now. I am doing something about it.
In my youth I was a swimmer and waterpolo player. I was athletic, I was happy, and I was thin.  I don’t want to be that thin again, but if I could just lose weight and be athletic again, I would consider it a success.
I have started and stopped an exercise routine so many times.  My whole life I had coaches yelling at me, and a team in the trenches with me; it is difficult for me to exercise on my own, to keep the momentum going.  Even with friends exercising with me, I still haven’t found the right program for me.  Or is it the program? Could there be something wrong with me? I am honestly not sure.  I try, I really do try. I can tell that my husband gets frustrated for me (not at me), that I have not been able to keep up a routine.
This last week I started an exercise regimen again.  I am determined this time to keep it up.  I have people with me, a team if you will, to keep me accountable.  I have people counting on me to show up, to do my part.  What am I doing, you ask? I am swimming laps at a local pool at 8am three days a week. I even have a coach, ready and waiting to push me through the pain, to keep me going, and to not sink to the bottom of the pool.
I have gone twice already.  I love it, even though I am slow and working towards being able to do 8 laps straight through without stopping. To a swimmer, 8 laps is not much; even to me, it is not enough.  I am taking a rest every two to four laps right now, but I know that I as I continue swimming, I will get better.
The pool is my sanctuary.  The smell of the chlorine is perfume to me, I don't want that smell to go away again. Even putting on my Speedo, swim cap and goggles is a sacred ritual to me. I lose myself in the rhythm of my stroke, thinking or singing songs in my head as I go. The beauty of water entrances me. Be it a pool, spring or ocean: I am at peace near the water.
____________________________________________________________________
There are plenty of places locally where you can go and swim laps. See below for a local listing of pools that have lap swimming.

Eustis Aquatic Center:
25 yard lap pool as well as a splash pad for the kids.  This location is also available for birthday parties, church groups, etc.
Where: 250 Ferren Park Drive, Eustis, FL 32726
Contact: 352-357-3264
Website: www.eustis.org/residents/city_rental_facilities/eustis_aquatic_center.php
Admission: Pool & Splash Pad - $3 per person, per visit
    Lap Swim Only - $2 per person, per visit
    Admission fee applies to ALL guests entering the pool/splash pad area
    Punch Passes are available for purchase at the Aquatic Center:
        5 visits for $12
        10 visits for $21
        20 visits for $40
Hours: Open/Public Swim & Splash Pad -     Monday thru Friday 1130am - 500pm
                            Saturday 11:00am - 5:00pm
                            Sunday 1:00pm - 5:00pm
    Lap Swim -                 Monday thru Thursday 6:00am - 11:15am
                                    5:15pm - 6:45pm
                        Friday 6:00am - 10:00am
____________________________________________________________________

Golden Triangle YMCA Pool:
This location features both an indoor therapy pool, and an outdoor pool for laps. Check their website for current aquatics schedule.
Where: 1465 David Walker Road, Tavares, FL 32778
Contact: 352-342-1144
Website: www.ymcacentralflorida.com
Cost: check website for details
Hours: vary, check website
____________________________________________________________________

Lincoln Avenue Community Park and Pool:
This 35 acre community park contains Mount Dora’s swimming pool, 6 tennis courts, 4 baseball/softball fields, 2 racquetball courts, the Disc Golf Course, the Mount D.O.R.A. Dog Park, a Little League concession stand, and restrooms.
Where: 1200 North Unser Street, Mount Dora, FL 32757
Contact: 352-735-7173
Website: www.ci.mount-dora.fl.us/218/Aquatics
Cost: Lap Swim - $3 per visit, or $16 per 8 visit punch pass
Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00am - 11:00am
This location also offers Water Aerobics ($3 per class, or $24 for a 12 visit punch pass; Monday/Wednesday/Friday 9:00am-10:00am); Water Kickboxing ($3 per class or $16 for an 8 visit punch pass; Tuesdays/Thursdays 9:00am-10:00am); Open Swim ($1 per visit; Monday through Saturday 11:00am - 2:30pm)
____________________________________________________________________

Umatilla Pool:
Summer fun begins with pool time!
Where: 16 Lone Star Street, Umatilla, FL
Contact: 321-263-5238
Cost: $1 Children, $2 Youth (13-18), $3 Adults, $1 Seniors (60-up)
Hours: Adult Lap Swim Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 1:00pm
    Open Swim Monday - Friday 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Saturday 12:00pm - 4:00pm
____________________________________________________________________

Venetian Gardens:
Regulation size pool with bathhouse, gazebo (rental - available for weddings), 7 islands with fantastic landscaping, Ski Beach, parking, Pat Thomas Stadium.
Where: 109 E Dixie Avenue, Leesburg, FL 34748
Website: www.leesburgflorida.gov/index.aspx?page=1602
Contact: 352-728-9885
Cost: $2 a day or $25 for the Monthly Pass
Hours: May 22-September 29th, Monday - Friday 11:00am - 1:00pm
____________________________________________________________________





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Land Experience Christmas Party Cake

Ballet Dancer Survival Kit