Oh no! Company's Coming!


Have you ever been getting your house ready for a party and everything has been cleaned, polished, and put away when you suddenly realize that your everyday family couch pillows are stained? Oh, no! Thoughts start running through your head, “Should I hide the pillows in a closet?”, “Do I have time to sit at the sewing machine and make a cover?”, “Do I have any extra pillow covers?”.  If the answer to the previous questions is “no”, then I have a very simple solution for you.

I ran into this exact problem this weekend.  People were coming to my house who had never been there before. I needed to put my best foot forward, because after all, the cleanliness of a home reflects upon the woman.  I called my mom in a panic, and like any wonderful mother, she came right on over with a plethora of supplies to help me.  What did she bring for my grungy, food stained, everyday couch pillows? One-Yard cuts of fabric, and rectangular shape shawls and scarves; no pillow covers.

I watched in amazement as my mother took my pillows, put it on the fabric (wrong side up), and proceeded to cover my pillow in a beautiful print, no sewing required.  To keep the fabric closed on the pillow, you can tie it into a bow or knot, use a safety pin, diaper pin, or a brooch.  I have some beautiful antique brooches that we used for this project.  In all, I think it took us maybe 15 minutes to cover 4 pillows.

Mommy to the rescue.  My guests loved the pillows, especially the brooches, which, coincidentally, matched the fabric we used perfectly.  The best part about this project is that I can switch out the fabric for the seasons!

Sometimes it is the simplest solutions that make the biggest impact.  I am grateful to my mother for all of her wonderful ideas, but on Saturday, I was most grateful for her pillow covering genius.  If you are ever in a pinch with your couch pillows, instead of tossing them in a closet and hoping no guest goes snooping, take a piece of fabric and cover your pillows; your guests will be none the wiser.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holy Land Experience Christmas Party Cake

Mom Bod Overhall

Ballet Dancer Survival Kit